Natural Resources Law Assignment #1.
The Finger Lakes National Forest (New York’s only National Forest) encompasses 16,212 acres nestled between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. The Forest has over 30 miles of interconnecting trails that traverse gorges, ravines, pastures, and woodlands.
The U.S. Forest Service is worried about the impacts on the Finger Lakes National Forest from activities in the surrounding areas. They have proposed three new policies:
- No billboards may be placed within the view of the Finger Lakes National Forest because such billboards hamper scenic enjoyment of the forest.
- Motor vehicles may not idle for more than 30 seconds when there are within 20 miles of the Finger Lakes National Forest because the emissions from the vehicles has a harmful effect on the flora and fauna in the forest as well as detracting from the experience of recreational users in the forest.
- Anyone seeking to snowmobile in the Forest must obtain a permit to do so, and no more than 50 permits will be issued in any single month. Limiting snowmobile use will protect the flora and fauna while improving the experience of other forest visitors.
You are a junior associate at a law firm. A client of the firm has asked for an evaluation of whether they should challenge any of these policies. A senior partner has asked you to write a memo of (no more than 1000 words) for the client addressing two main points: (1) assess whether the Property Clause provides adequate justification for these policies and (2) outline what your client would need to show to demonstrate that it has standing to bring a challenge.
You may choose from one of the three following clients:
- The Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce in Ithaca, NY.
- The Finger Lakes Snowmobile Club
- Sierra Club
This assignment is worth 20% of your grade in this course and is due electronically on Friday October 7, 2011 at 4pm. You should e-mail your assignment to Linda Kelly, email@example.com. Please do not put your name on the assignment or otherwise indicate authorship. I will deduct 10 points for each day (or fraction thereof) that the assignment is late. If you need any accommodations, please contact Melinda Saran, firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions about the assignment can be asked in the comments section below.